William T. Grant Foundation
NYU Internal Selection Process: May 22, 2017
- NYU Schools can initiate their own internal competition to select one nominee. Please refer to the RFP below for the Selection Criteria (on page 12) to assist you in choosing your nominee. Once a candidate has been identified, please inform Farooq Niazi (email@example.com) in writing so he may assist in obtaining a letter from the Office of Sponsored Programs confirming that the applicant represents distinct school of the institution.
Application to the Foundation: 3:00 p.m. EST on July 6, 2017
The William T. Grant Scholars Program supports career development for promising early-career researchers. The program funds five-year research and mentoring plans that significantly expand junior researchers’ expertise in new disciplines, methods, and content areas. We recognize that early-career researchers are rarely given incentives or support to take such risks, so this award includes a mentoring component, as well as an emphasis on community and collaboration.
Only ONE candidate may be nominated from a major division (e.g., College of Arts and Sciences, Medical School) of the institution. Applicants must be nominated by their institutions.
- Applicants must have received their terminal degree within seven years of submitting their application. This is calculated by adding seven years to the date the doctoral degree was conferred. In medicine, the seven-year maximum is dated from the completion of the first residency.
- Applicants must hold a tenure-track position.
- Applicants outside the United States are eligible. As with U.S. applicants, they must pursue research that has compelling policy or practice implications for youth in the United States.
- Applicants of any discipline are eligible.
Award recipients are designated as William T. Grant Scholars. Each year, four to six Scholars are selected and each receives up to $350,000, distributed over five years. Awards begin July 1. The award must not replace the institution’s current support of the applicant’s research. Awards will be announced in March 2018.
Link to Full RFP: